Thursday, September 26, 2013

POINT OF VIEW/ Genichiro Takahashi: Hope lies in young people's ignorance of war - AJW by The Asahi Shimbun

In a house in Osaka where my father was born and grew up, there was a small room with three framed photographs on display. One was that of Emperor Hirohito in a military uniform. The other two were of my two uncles, also in uniform, who died "hero's deaths" on the islands of Attu and Luzon during World War II.

Since that was before I was born, I never knew my uncles. I invariably recall that gloomy room on Aug. 15 every year.

On Aug. 15 this year, I was watching a play titled "cocoon." A dramatization of a manga by Machiko Kyo, who was born in 1980, it was directed by Takahiro Fujita, born in 1985.

The stage is thickly covered with white sand to evoke images of Okinawa in 1945. The main characters in the play are modeled after students of women's high schools in Okinawa, who formed a nursing unit called "Himeyuri Gakutotai" (Lily Corps) for the Imperial Japanese Army during the Battle of Okinawa in the final months of World War II.

(Click on the post title above for more)

Comment: I hate to ruin the plot line for you but, almost all of them die at the end! That's what wars do so it would be a great comfort for a lot of us to hope that our glorious leaders would consider that fact before they send us all out to slaughter! Unfortunately, they're more concerned about their portfolios and how much stock they hold in the the companies that make up the Military Industrial Complex! 

Here's and idea, if they wanna fight, go ahead and strap on a pack and sling up a rifle and go do it yourselves! Oh and BTW, don't expect me to cheer you on either!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcomed, Spammers will be deleted on sight!