Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Joys of Japanese Noodles | The Japan Guy

Mom always taught me not to slurp my noodles, but the cool thing about being in Japan is that the slurping rule goes completely out the window. If you’ve ever been to a Japanese restaurant that serves any kind of noodles, or if you’ve been to a Japanese friend’s house for a meal, you probably know exactly what I mean.

My problem is that I’m so used to NOT slurping that I haven’t quite mastered the fine art of slurping without splashing noodle juice on myself and everyone around me. As a result, I enjoy that noodle goodness in silence.

Why do Japanese people slurp their noodles? I haven’t figured out the exact reason, but I have three theories...

(Click on the post title above for more)

Comment: My theory is two-fold. First is because most Japanese noodle dishes are served piping hot and slurping them cools them off lickity-split. If you wanna know what it feels like to have a heart attack? Just try eating your Japanese noodles fast without slurping and scald your esophagus! If that doesn't give you a good idea how it feels, nothing will. Secondly, Japanese folks, mainlanders from the big cities like Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka in particular are real workaholic types. They don't just live life in the fast lane, they're living it in hyperspace! They have absolutely no time for anything let alone lunch. Say you want to digest your food? Wait till you get home after that 16 hour work day. And now you know why Japanese men drink too much, but that's another story for another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcomed, Spammers will be deleted on sight!